Wednesday, May 15, 2019

My vacation

I took this week off for vacation, everyone asks me where I am going and I just chuckle a little. I don't think I have actually gone somewhere on vacation for over 20 years. When I am on vacation from my employment I go into full do things around the farm mode. 

I would be happiest working and doing things here all day everyday. I also catch up on sleep and have time to think and reflect. My mind has a chance to absorb all that is going on around me and I can spend time with the animals instead of running from one chore to another. 

Saturday I was in a haze from the long work week because I worked late every night. I was exhausted Saturday but the weather was nice and I still went out and mowed the grass and I went to the store and bought a couple of trees to plant. 

Sunday was Mother's day, it rained and was cold all day. Kylie had bought me flowers but she had to study for her final. Honestly, I slept most of the day because I was still exhausted. 

Monday I slept in and it rained but I heard voices downstairs and thought Kylie was talking to herself while she was making breakfast. She had school so she was up really early. When she got home she explained that she heard a knock at the door and there stood Abe who needed a ride to the Amish neighboring farms because his horses had broken out of their pasture late that night and were on the loose. 

Kylie had her big final in math but she took Abe around to the farms and back home and still managed to get to school. Later Monday afternoon, Abe's brother Levi stopped in to ask me to send a message to the realtor that is helping sell his house here. Levi is moving to Kentucky in June. I will miss him and his family, he is a rare person, so kind and gentle. I have met few people in my life with such goodness. 

Today is Tuesday and it is by far the most interesting day. I woke up and went downstairs and my brother came in from the front porch, he was excited because there were three goslings walking in the grass with their parents. Finally, the big day had arrived. I yelled downstairs where Kylie was in the basement to let her know, she didn't have school and I expected her to sleep in. It wasn't long after I called down that she appeared in the kitchen and wanted to know where to look outside. 

We walked out and watched the little family walking and cropping grass. My geese went to the pond because they weren't being chased anymore by the wild pappa goose. We fed the horses and then started cleaning the garage. Kylie check her grades and was overjoyed to find out she did great on her test. 

We decided to take a break and walk to the pond. Since the geese family no longer cared about the nest I walked over to see the broken eggs and one that had been discarded a while back. One egg looked like it hadn't been cracked open all the way, I figured it was just one that didn't make it. A few minutes later Kylie walked over to take a look and saw something move, sure enough the baby inside the egg was still alive but couldn't get out of the egg, we had a dilemma, if we left it alone it would die. 

Kylie got the egg open and the baby out, she carried it to the house and I gave it a nice little box and my brother gave it his heating pad. It was very weak and we really didn't think it would survive more than an hour. Every hour that passes on the heating pad it has unfurled and been able to move its head and body more. 

I think it will survive, we have called a rehab place but we are hoping to get it up and going and some how some way get it close enough to the parents in hopes they will adopt it not knowing that is really theirs. I am thinking the rest of the week will be interesting. 

We went back and finished the garage, gathered all the trash that accumulated over the winter and burned it. The vet came for the horses booster shots for botulism and the stalls were cleaned. Some weed whacking and some more mowing. 

The last thing was to drive to Abe's house because we heard a horse nicker across the road in his field. Turns out that Abe's horses came home on their own and broke into a door and locked themselves in the barn by accident. There is a happy ending for you.


Top - abandon Gosling
Bottom- Poppa with one of the three Goslings

No comments:

Post a Comment