Thursday, May 30, 2013

Waiting for a small army to arrive

I cleaned the stalls for the little ponies and stacked it all on the edge of the garden, months ago I mixed it into the soil. I thought the soil in the garden looked dry and overworked but the neighbors said it had been a good garden for many years.

It's been tilled now twice, no composting at all of the manure.... I had to really think, why? At our old house the soil over the years of using manure as a fertilizer had turned very dark and rich. I pictured what it looked like as I pondered my current dilemma with the soil here. I thought how nice and rich, shovels full of dark topsoil, full of worms'.. castings.

The soil here is cracked under the deceivingly green grass, it's hard as a rock. We had clay at the other place but not like this. I talked to the neighbor and they said this area had been a cornfield for many years. I had read what generations of farming land could do and this confirmed my suspicions.

It was the visualization of my past experience that shed light on the real problem and the solution. The nutrients has been drained by farming and chemicals further applied with lawn/weed treatments over time. THERE ARE NO WORMS!! To compost anything.

I was appalled at the thought of the barrenness of the situation and that the earth being damaged has taken so long and still hasn't recovered. I was moved into action with an urgent amazon.com search, I knew what I had to do and it was without fear that I promptly hit one click to purchase red wigglers, the small but powerful worm warriors that sole purpose in life is to turn organic material into castings (worm poop).

$7 bought 200 WW's (worm warriors) later this month I will summon a thousand. I watch and wait for the miraculous army of wormy farmers to arrive, I will release them as soon as they arrive in numbers the likes of which Litchfield soil has ever seen at least not recently.

There are also no toads, haven't found a one. A good indicator of a thriving environment are toads, for now working on the enrichment of my garden and the surrounding soil is primary. I am hoping the worms don't defect to the neighbor's organic farm next door, I will have to entice them with as much organic material from the ponies as I can.

I can see it now, the mailman will arrive, the package in his hands dropping it on the door step, I will be waiting and then a few moments later, the battle cry. Go forth... go forth.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment