Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Teetering on the edge

For awhile now I've been inwardly debating about changing certain habits that give me grief. It could be because I am friends with so many animal lovers on Facebook and of course some of my own conviction. The problem is slaughter and the excessive amounts of meat I believe we all eat.

As I get older I just hate thinking of the magnitude of animals slaughtered for food. What is even more a disgrace is the amount of food that is wasted in this country. Meat is as convenient as potato chips basically and taken for granted. You can have meat any time and you can just throw out what you don't eat. My problem with this is that a living creature lost it's life to feed people and it's life was taken for food and then is just thrown away.

Not so long ago you didn't eat meat unless you had the nerve to kill the animal yourself, seems just going to the store and buying meat divorces us from conscience what so ever.

As a meat eater which I may not be for much longer, I feel that if I tried eating other sources of food and only ate meat once a week and more fish etc. I'd be less of a consumer and maybe if everyone did that there would be less slaughter.

As an animal lover and having met domestic animals like cows, chickens and pigs I just know that they have feelings, that they have souls. I pray to God about it and I wish the world wasn't so cruel. That we as humans were more responsible for God's creatures and for the people that know real hunger. I pray that when someone thinks about wasting any type of food that think about others who are less fortunate, children and people that would be thankful for what we throw away.

This has been bothering me for awhile, I don't have all the answers but as I search my own heart I feel I need to do something. 

No comments:

Post a Comment