Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Peaches gets her beauty treatment

I spent sometime helping a friend who does estate sales, I happen to find a beautiful antique brass bed and I am sort of working off the cost. I love it of course, I don't usually get tempted by things but it is really unique.

I came home to give Peaches her weekly bath, she has a bad skin condition that she needs to have a bath at least once a week. Her skin is clearing up nicely, she is a senior golden and is much relieved to have her skin and coat looked after. She belongs to the neighbor and he asked me to do the baths. I blew her coat out with my dryer and trimmed some of the long thick hair so her skin could breath. She is a diva now!

I had some fun with the tractor in the pasture and pushed old tree trunks into the treeline where they can decompose. I also ran over a few pricker bushes and leveled a groundhog hole. The grass is about 6 to 7 inches tall in places but where the horses concentrated grazing last year the grass is still fairly short. It won't be long now though that they will be numming the nice grass, I am thinking three or four more weeks at the most. In the meantime, it's round bales to keep them happy.

I'll be dragging more in the pasture around the trees to make paths and keep the shrubs down. I love driving the pasture, it is really beautiful and I love it natural to. There is brush, grass, trees and little shady places all around. It's a great place for horses to run, frolic, roll and enjoy nature around them. The pasture is almost 6 acres and it's wide open except for the trees in the middle and the fence around it. I can't think of a better place for a domestic horse to spend days/evenings with their herd. It also comes complete with burrs, so they can get the full affect of being a wild horse. They take full advantage of it.

Polo went out with Cody for awhile today, they did pretty good. Jackson in the other herd is such a poop head sometimes because he is a herd bully. Polo just wants to hang out and relax and Jackson won't let him. We will try my little herd in the next few days and see how it goes. Horse politics isn't always easy.


No comments:

Post a Comment