Sunday, March 20, 2011

Giant shredded wheat, a city boy turned farmer!

Started out today by feeding horses and turning around and going back to sleep for awhile. I didn't just jump up afterwards either and took things kind of slow the first part of the day. My brother was down for the weekend to help out and we give him plenty to do.

I went out to my barn to do stalls but didn't get very far and then it was off to the farm up the road to pick up two round bales in my truck. Next, to the other farm to do stalls, feed, bring horses in and drop off one round bale (they look like giant shredded wheat without the frosting).

I floored my pickup to get from the bottom of the driveway up into where the bale needed to be dropped. It was on an incline with plenty of mud. We made it and we had to roll the 700lb bale off the truck and then role it the rest of the way up the little hill. My city boy brother got a good taste today of hard work.

We came home and picked our stalls, fed and pushed off the other bale into our paddock. I will have to buy a couple more because there will be bale guarding by the horses and they will have squabbles. My brother went home positive he would sleep well tonight. He said he actually had fun today.

Work hard, burn calories, live well, and be happy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment